Saturday, May 22, 2010

Diamonds are Forever.....

Upon watching television this evening I came across one of the most offensive commercials I have ever seen. It was for "Jared. Galleria of Jewelry". The Infamous Jared's One dude gives his "wife" a box from Jared's and she runs around the room like a boasting asshole to all the other women saying "He went to Jared's!" This of course gets the other guy, who I guess is the lesser man for not going to Jared's for his wife's diamonds, in some deep shit. What kind of shitty message is that? So this poor guy goes out of his way to buy his wife some sort of diamond purchase and she's all down on him for not going to the huge (no doubt expensive) Galleria Jewelry store? What a bitch.
This diamond shit goes hand in hand with women's shoe and purse fetish. I don't understand it at all. Perhaps I am too new age because I could care less how big it is or where it came from – this only goes for diamonds by the way... Snap! I work with about two million women (I am not a compulsive liar, merely an exaggerator) and they all pride themselves on their ginormous wedding bands, anniversary bands, engagement rings and whatever else their husbands have had to buy to shut them up. One girl is going so far as to weld her mom's first engagement ring to her engagement ring and her wedding band because her current rings do not get enough attention. I feel that this is also quite unnecessary as her husband took the time to pick her out two very nice rings and now she feels it's not enough? Jesus. I have heard many things such as an engagement ring should cost the equivalent to two months salary. What!? I don't want that. How about you buy me a modest white gold band that sits on my finger to signify that I am no longer available and we put the rest of the money on a PHAT television set or maybe a down payment on a house. Really anything worth more than a few hundred I am just going to walk around paranoid that I am going to lose/damage it anyway – and I most likely will.
There was also a commercial for Master Card for some couple that had just gotten engaged and it says: Engagement Ring: $9,000. My mouth dropped open and I made my screwed up confused face. Who the hell needs that? And how are they going to pay for this wedding now? I mean the MC has to be maxed out after that little splurge. Looks like it's going to be one of those three year engagement plans. Oh and for his sake I really hope it came from Jared's otherwise he'll have to take that shit back and start over.